Armed Forces

Transitioning from the uniformed services to the civilian workforce can be difficult.

With some Lx Training staff having originally started in the U.K uniformed services there is empathy and understanding of some for the challenges faced by ex services learners. Lx Training will help and support you  throughout your degree and work with you to build on those same skills  in your personal development to an Information Technology or management professional.

We support all uniformed services learners from the police, fire brigade and armed services.

The MOD’s Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELC) promotes lifelong learning amongst members of the Armed Forces.

The scheme provides financial support in the form of a single up-front payment in each of a maximum of three separate financial years. ELC funding is only available for pursuit of the higher level learning i.e. for courses that result in a nationally recognised qualification at Level three or above on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) (England, Northern Ireland and Wales), a Level six or above on the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF) or, if pursued overseas, an approved international equivalent qualification with an approved learning provider.

Getting Started: How does it work?

  1. There are several stages to the ELC process. Full information is set out in Joint Service Publications (JSP) 822.
  2. First you must have already been registered to become a Scheme Member and have accrued a sufficient amount of service before you can submit a claim.  If you are still serving speak to your local Education Staff as they will be able to check your entitlement for you.  If you have left the forces contact ELCAS as they can make the appropriate checks.
  3. Have a look at Service Personnel Claiming ELC or Service Leaver Claiming ELC respectively as these pages will tell you how to make your claim.
  4. Finally you must complete your Course Evaluation via the Member’s Area. Please note that further claims cannot be processed until the evaluation has been completed.

Spouse/Nominated Proxy

Transfer of eligibility to spouse or nominated proxy. In the event of the death or medical discharge of a Service Personnel (SP) whose condition renders them unable to utilise their ELC, it may be permissible to transfer all remaining ELC payments to the SPs spouse or nominated proxy. The eligibility to transfer ELC to a spouse or eligible partner is to be assessed using the qualifying criteria detailed JSP 534.

Claiming Enhanced Learning Credits

Please speak to your Liasion Officer regarding claiming.

Wounded, Injured and Sick

(WIS) Service personnel are automatically eligible for support from the Defence Recovery Capability (DRC) through their Single Services as soon as their unit records them on the Wounded Injured and Sick Management Information System (WISMIS). This happens if military personnel have been, or are likely to be, wounded, injured or sick for more than 7 days.

Service Personnel who have completed Initial (Phase 1 and 2) training and who are registered Scheme members, who become WIS before achieving the required six years eligible service, and who are expected to return to duty, may be authorised to claim ELC at the lower tier rate.  ELC use when WIS must be part of an Individual Recovery Plan (IRP) managed by single Service recovery schemes.  (Please see the latest version of JSP 822 under the downloads section of the website).